Since 1979, United Way of Wise County Inc., officed in Decatur, Texas, has worked diligently to support local charities providing essential health and human services to Wise County residents. As a registered Texas non-profit corporation, United Way of Wise County conducts annual fund raising campaigns and allocates the proceeds to these local charities on the basis of their need, specific services provided, number of families served and other considerations.
Beginning in 2006, 100% of each dollar donated to the annual fall campaign, has been allocated to these United Way agencies and programs. This makes the United Way one of the most efficient non-profit organizations in the country. When we all work together, we're able to work wonders!
To accomplish our mission, the United Way of Wise Conty is committed to embrace diversity and inclusion within our county across all dimensions (race, age, gender, sexual orientatiion, gender identity, national origin, religion and physical or mental ability).
More than 30 local agencies have sought affiliation with United Way of Wise County. Volunteer opportunities are available in many areas. Check out the list of agencies to determine where you might make a difference.
"Wise County covers approximately 923 square miles and is home to aboout 70,000 people. The Wise County Sheriff's Office personnel often encounter adults and children who are in dire need. Many of the helpful and local resources we rely upon to meet those needs are funded by our United Way of Wise County. Your charitable giving will help us all make Wise County a better place to live, work, worship and raise a family."
N. Lane Akin, Wise County Sheriff
Your dollars impact residents of Wise County in a variety of ways. Examples include but are not limited to:
- TAPS - 68,783 miles of transportation assistance in 2018.
- Texas Ramp Project builds ramps for home bound citizens in Wise County.
- Made 2 Thrive receives allocations to provide entry fees to the U. S. Special Olympics for family members with special needs.
- Acts 4 Others addresses homelessness in Wise County.
- Wise County Committee on Aging provides weekday meals to homebound seniore, provides light transportation and communal meals.
- Raquel's Wings For Life provides free flights to transport cancer patients for treatment.
- WARM distributed 9262 boxes of food to families in 2018.
- Texas Neighborhood Services provided utility assistance fo 584 families in 2018.